Thursday, February 24, 2011

What I Wanted to Be When I Grow Up...

Cartoonist. I used to sketch cartoons while in kindergarten and show them to other students. They were amused by them but the teachers were not so much. I thought very deeply when I was young and thought that I needed to find something that I could really make money doing so that dream didn't last long. But I always wanted to be an artist my whole life. I loved drawing as a child and still do. While in first grade I thought that I needed to be in art and business somehow. Then in third grade, I thought of being a singer or dancer or even police officer! I went through many different jobs in my mind to figure out what I really wanted to be when I grow up.

While in high school, I took a liking to fashion design and art classes. I sewed many garments and entered them into the school fashion shows. My designs were well liked and I even won first place awards for some of them. I've always had a mind for complex designs. If the garment was too simple, I would find ways to make it more complex.

During my senior year of school, I researched what schools offered fashion design. I found Illinois Institute of Art, International Academy of Art, Purdue, & Indiana Unversity. I decided that Purdue was the best choice for me. They had the latest state of the art GGT & Lectra computer equipment and a comprehensive fashion design program. I learned the general academic courses of the university as well as designing, patternmaking, grading, and sewing. It was a very labor intensive program. I stayed up many late nights working on projects/collections.

Oh, so back to what I mentioned in the beginning...cartoonist. Yes, I wanted to draw cartoons and make money. I remember as a child at the school library looking through the books to find a book to write my first book report. I found one on Walt Disney. So, that's what led me to wanting to be a cartoonist! There you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment